Friday, May 28, 2021

Top 10 in 2014 (in no particular order)

Yet another post which I doubt will be posted anywhere... but if it does get posted, yay!

A look back at 2014's most awesome moments for me:

1. A call to my Lord's House - Divine
I had a strong calling to visit the House of Allah - through a series of miraculous developments, my family of then-3 and I travelled to the three most holiest places in Islam - Masjid Nabawi, Masjidal Haraam and Masjid Al-Aqsa. Subhanallah!

2. The feeling of finding out that we were expecting our third child - Exhilarating
We found out that we were expecting our third child shortly after coming back from our holy trip to the holy lands. Pure joy, but also pure trepidation as we were also...

3. Going to America! - Bring on the Yankees
As part of my Fulbright (a high point in 2013) exchange programme, I was going to the USA to pursue a Master in International Public Policy at USC! The entire process, from preparing to leave to arriving in the States, was immensely stressful and utterly rewarding.

4. Selling my Car - Sadboy
I became Sadboy after I sold my Nissan Latio in May 2014. I had to sell it due to the US trip. It was my first car which I bought in 2010, just before the birth of my 2nd boy, Talha. To sell it was a very painful thing for me.

5. Packing up to leave for the US - highly emotional
It was like I was going to go and never come back - death. I put my trust in Him and just did this. Many a times I wondered why I had decided to do this shit.

6. Arriving in the US and getting used to left-hand drive - Oh Crap
I had the toughest time learning to drive on the other side of the road in the US. STRESS BABY!

7. First road-trip in the US! 
We drove to San Diego - pure joy. We swam with sea-lions!

8. Learning Islam in America - pure gold
Muslims in America have it pretty bad, but they are also pretty advanced in the way they want to impart Islamic values in the American context. We were blessed to have found a fantastic learning centre (The Institute of Knowledge!) to give us high-quality education in Islamic sciences!

9. Finding a place to stay - Allah's (s.w.t) with us
Imagine walking aimlessly in a foreign city, with a pregnant wife and 2 young boys in the summer sun, looking for a place to stay. We eventually find one that is (1) huge. (2) value-for-Money, (3) close to the train station, (4) SUPER close to the Hospital for my wife to give birth, (5) family-friendly and safe, (6) near the school where BOTH my boys can attend school at affordable rates, (7) near some breath-taking mountainous areas, and (8) very close to all kinds of amenities. MASHA ALLAH!

10. Giving birth to my daughter, Khadijah - BLESSED
My little girl was born on Dec 16. We had a natural delivery at Huntington Hospital. It is such a beautiful time for us.


No comments: