Thursday, October 01, 2009

Kidney, liver, heart, cornea


I was rummaging through my old files when I came across a government booklet on organ transplanting. Whether we like it or not, all Singaporeans and PRs are included in the Human Organ Transplant Act (HOTA). Of course, you can opt out but you will end up lower in the priority register if you end up needing a transplant.

So it will be very wise for all involved parties to read the facts about HOTA and get ready for all possible scenarios. I know... it's a real pain in the liver to read a government website, but just try can? A few minutes only...

2 comments:

Good Times said...

hey bro, I heard from a friend of mine how's a student of a leading Hanafi Scholar, that according to the Hanafis, it's forbidden to donate your organs....what do you think?

Nunbun said...

Yes... I guess in the end, Singapore Muslims are free to opt out of HOTA once they fully understand the implications, which is why I urge all my humble readers to read about it.

However, I think it's worth considering the fact that a human (not necessarily Muslim) life can be saved if Muslims choose to remain in the HOTA. And Allah knows best...

Have you read MUIS' booklet on HOTA? Copy and paste this URL onto your browser, may be useful: http://www.muis.gov.sg/cms/uploadedFiles/PortalSG/Community/Fatwa/HIMPUNAN_FATWA_2005/Organ%20Transplant%20in%20Islam%20%28Malay_Eng%29%20Final.pdf