Thursday, August 07, 2008

Limit

Dear Stomach,

With much regret and sorrow, I write this letter to you.

Let me just say it straight off: I'm sorry and I shouldn't have done it. I've been stuffing you with oily and coconut-laden stuff for the past few weeks, every time thinking "just this once". Then we went to Japan and I made you have all that raw fish and wasabe. But you survived Japan thanks to all the Coke that killed whatever germs could've lived in the raw fish.

But I guess the final straw was yesterday. You had a (1) nasi lemak at the SLF canteen, with mutton curry. Now, what was I thinking? Nasi lemak is bad enough, at the SLF canteen to make it worst, with mutton curry? I admit my mind was not right. I should've suspected something was wrong when they made me pay $6.50 for that.

Then you had (2) Mysore Masala Thosai and Onion Rava Thosai from Ananda Bhavan for dinner. By anyone's standards, that's too much ghee and masala for one thin person in one night. Then you had some bad mango lassi to wash it all down fat heaven.

Then the topping on the halwa came when you ate some stale goreng pisang just because your mom-in-law bought it. I mean - I'm not even a fan of goreng pisang, so it begs the question of why I subjected you to this torture.

So understandably, the "dam broke" at about midnight when you decided to give up. I had diarrhoea the whole night and couldn't go to work.

I have finally come to appreciate the words of the Prophet s.a.w. who said

"No human ever filled a vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Adam are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his breath."

It's also good that Ramadan is around the corner - a timely lesson for me to give you a much-needed break.


With best regards,
Your owner

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting in words what I (and I am sure many others) do feel from time to time.

For me this month, its always the "Ramadan is coming" excuse.

As you rightly highlighted in your quoted hadith and as mentioned by a visiting Shaykh recently, the idea is to eat enough for "up to" 1/3 of the stomach. Too often we take the hadith to mean 1/3 as the ideal proportion.

Anonymous said...

hahahhah..oh my god jaless u damn funny la....
yup treat it rite!
btw dun go masala hut.
my tummy hurt after tt!

Nunbun said...

Thanks for the wishes guys... I'm feeling better already... :)

Internet Marketing said...

ohh goodness jalees...hope u r feeling ok..well u wanna see bad eating proportions u shd see the muslims here eat...GOD!! they can gorge in 3 pieces of chicken leg and thigh AFTER the rice they eat.... i m glad i m now making a conscious effort to stop eating even half of that... my goodness...

anyway ramadan mubarak to u in advance...