Sunday, February 03, 2008

Power in Simplicity


“My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer,” the boy told the alchemist one night as they looked up at the moonless sky.

“Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”

-
The Alchemist

A very good friend of mine, from JC, had presented to me the book The Alchemist for my birthday. That was in 2001. I had barely gotten past page 4 when I just couldn’t find the time to read it (unknown to this friend, but I’m sure she knows it now). So it just lay there, waiting for me for the last 7 years.

The book’s major premise is that what’s important is not the destination – it’s probably right under your feet – it’s really the journey. And in the journey one might find the most obscurest thing, but it might be the thing that changes your life forever.

I’ve never felt like reading the Alchemist – for reasons I don’t know. It’s not because it’s a bad book. My dear old friend has an excellent knack for gifts and she had chosen an international bestseller (no less) to present to one of her best friends. I’ve read in many articles that it is an acclaimed book. But I just couldn’t find time to read it. Perhaps it was my mistaken view that non-fiction books are more a worthwhile read than fiction.

Until… last week. For a while I’ve been undergoing a spiritual ebb. I’ve been reading many books familiar to me, but they are all too familiar to me. I know what they will say. They cover the same things I know, what I ought to know. But I was looking for something new, something fresh. Something that would appeal to something more than my mind.

The Alchemist spoke in very simple, but powerful language. I believe it would have given a different effect if read in another time or state of mind. Just like in the book where omens are shown at the appropriate times, I was brought to read this book not when first presented to me, but after 7 years, when it was the right time.

Among the many things that I got from the book, it was the very important fact that to worry about pain to come, is worse than the pain itself. What a simple yet true thing.

And of course, the journey towards the destination is always more important, and more meaningful, as my friend the Hoopoe always says. The Alchemist’s story says this in a powerful, yet simple and poetic way. I may not know the multitudes of other subtler messages that lie under the seemingly simple language, but what little I got from the book is enough for me for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a time and place for everything.

As you have said, you may not have appreciated the book as much in 2001 as now when the lessons therein have a greater impact on you. Similarly, you may have a different experience with the book in another 7 years.

As an extension of the above, one therefore should not be too disappointed when one does not get or achieve what one wants or desires as something much better could be around the corner ....or such wants or desires could even have a negative effect on oneself.

We all plan...but surely Allah is the best of planners.

Nunbun said...

Agreed... all too often, we get stressed out when things don't go our way. One thing I'm recalling these days is to submit to the Greater Plan... and then I get a sense of the ecstasy and protection for a milisecond... ah, so sweet.

TheHoopoe said...

“Hear, O faqir: every time I was lacking something, great or small,
and turned away from it in turning towards my Lord, I found it there
in front of me, thanks to the power of Him who hears and knows.

We see that the needs of ordinary people are filled by paying attention to them, whereas the needs of the elect are filled by the very fact that they turn away from them and concentrate upon God.

“He who by remembering Me is distracted from his petition, will
receive more than those who ask”

- Mulay al-’Arabi ad-Darqawi