Monday, August 10, 2009

ND TV

I'm not really a fan of NDP. But I spent some time watching it for the sake of my dear wife who was all alone in the living room and folding clothes. This year's NDP impressed and bewildered me. Impressed with the grand/spectacular set design, bewildered at the pole dancers performing for the audience (which included the Cabinet). Hmm.

I also enjoyed Koh Chieng Mun's "I will survive" (I loved the Military Police guys swinging their rifles) and the pastiche of images from Singapore's past, and the big brother snippets from MM ("Never fear!"), SM and PM, combined with the 70s, 80s-themed songs and performances.

A bit of Singapore Idol was good - Gurmit's impersonation of Ken Lim was excellent. But it's turning out to be a quite a tiring franchise now. The same routine, the same sort of jokers - you feel for Ken when he says they're wasting his time. Another related show with less jokers and more ego to go around for several seasons is Vasantham Star. Some talented folks don't perform well, some untalented fools perform too loudly. Maybe it's a lack of talent - the community is quite small to start with, and of these not everyone would want to take part to get their ass whipped by the judges.

No comments: