Saturday, September 27, 2008

Hair it goes again

My hair has seen many things in the last 27 years.

It used to be the side-parted style in the 80s - the parting was established by my mother and it has stayed there forever. I don't know how she did it, but the physical scar has remained since. (The side-parting was together with the days of wearing primary-school uniform with the shirt tucked in until it can be pulled from the shorts.)

Then in secondary school, the curry puff came. Basically the side-parting was not altered, but the front fringe had a nice little bunch to it - a curry puff. A derogatory name no less, christened by my dear wife. The curry puff remained that way until Sec 2, when it was disrupted by my executive decision to shave my head. It was not approved by Congress or the Security Council, I just used my Presidential mandate to shave the bugger off. I gained many guy friends who thought it was damn cool, but lost a fairly decent girl fan base of at least one girl.

The curry puff resumed until NS, when I tried to do a spikey hairstyle because of the short-hair requirement. I discarded my comb because I thought real men needn't waste time with extraneous devices like combs. I thought my spike was damn cool, until (two and a half years later) this colleague told me it sucked, and that it sucked for the last two and a half years. The reason being that only the front part of the hair was spiked, while the rest of the hair was limp. I decided to move on in life after this tragic realisation.

So I went back to the curry puff with a vengeance in Uni. It was a massive hit. Or rather, I couldn't care less. I didn't care that people called me some Amitabh Bachan 80s flashback. I momentarily changed by hairstyle into a semi-spike and and on a good day, it looked quite good. Then I got the girl :) Then I went back to my old ways soon after...

I was having a weird hairdo ever since starting to work. Until... the Hoopoe showed me the way. The Hoopoe used to work at the same organisation I am in, and one day, while meeting him for lunch, he sported this uber cool hairstyle that actually made him look cool. I thought that, if he could do that, so can I. I credit the Hoopoe with making me take this scalp-shaking life decision.

So I got some professional advice, and now my hairstyle is a bit more decent and contemporary. My wife was jubilant. But I suspect it might be too revolutionary for my mother, the Author of the Side-parting, but she doesn't say anything.

My hair is also fodder for my 7-month old son who grabs it at every chance he gets and gives it the Super Deluxe Saliva Mix treatment which inhibits dandruff and hair growth of any kind. It's only a matter of time before some hair comes off in his violent hands.

But I must say I have let the hair grow for the last 2 months... and it looks like a hardcore curry puff now. I mean... I've been using a comb for the last 1 week! That's unacceptable.

So before Eid, I plan to shore off my locks and become more fashionable again. Wish me luck.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

image dude ... and looking good - never underestimate that at all levels :)

Anonymous said...

omg, i remember the days in jc with your curry puff hair. It was terrible! That and your oversized school shirts to hide your skinniness.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Thanks for the Monday entertainment - I really enjoy reading your entries.

Nunbun said...

Bernice - I'm gonna kill you till you die from it!

Anonymous said...

only u would be able to write a long post about your hair to such detail. it was entertaining. and yes, u looked good with the new 'do'.

Anonymous said...

hair looks gd now:)
best in yearssssss
n ive known you for abt 10 now!
-shan

Anonymous said...

your 'hair' blog post is getting quite popular. Getting to know a lot more about your younger days...hmmmmm

Nunbun said...

Well, hair is a topic close to all our hearts...

Glad that some of them like the new do...