Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Demo

I don't know if people will use the Speakers' Corner to hold demonstrations.

I think that our culture is one (or has been made one) that values internal consultation, discussion and "engaging of stakeholders". Not the type that burns effigies and flags, and holds up placards.

Culture takes many years, even generations, to change. By allowing demonstrations to be held at the Speakers' Corner might excite a small part of the country who are familiar with the "Western" style of vocal and physical opposition.

I'd rather write to my MP than join a demonstration!

But I remember in my Uni days, we were all so "on" about the right to demonstrate in public, and making political films and so on.

The PM has made some concessions on these rules - it's a "step in the right direction", and might have significant impact in the years to come.

No comments: