Saturday, July 26, 2008

Warm

Mornings are really bright here. I almost got a heart attack when I saw the bright day outside - I thought I was late and the conference had started. Then I checked the time - it was only 6.30 am.

Conferences could be a drag - especially if they recap things you already know. Like that it takes a "multi-sectorial approach to promoting physical activity on a national level". Duh.

The language problem here is worse than I thought. The Japanese don't speak ANY English at all. Nil. So I had to resort to getting my requests written down in Japanese by an English-speaking person to ask for services at other places where they did not know English.

The Japanese, even though they don't know English, are extremely warm people. They are so sincere they they feel bad they can't help, and try to communicate in Japanese. And they really love it when you speak any Japanese you know, like "Arigato".

When in Japan, bring your 3G phone. Only 3G works here. And the phones here are cool. But big.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does a transit on 15 August at Narita Airport count? :)

Nunbun said...

Sodes-neh. The flight I took to Japan was actually en route to LA. Is that the one you're taking?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.