Sunday, June 01, 2008

Words from the first Caliph


After the demise of the Holy Prophet s.a.w., Sayyidina Abu Bakr Siddique r.a. assumed office as the Amir ul Mu'miniin (Ruler of the Believers), he delivered the following speech:

[After thanking God and praising Him]

"O men! Here I have been assigned the job of being a ruler over you while I am not the best among you. If I do well in my job, help me. If I do wrong, redress me. Truthfulness is fidelity, and lying is treason. The weak shall be strong in my eyes until I restore to them their lost rights, and the strong shall be weak in my eyes until I have restored the rights of the weak from them. No people give up fighting for the cause of God but God inflicts upon them abject subjection; and no people give themselves to lewdness but God envelopes them with misery. Obey me as long as I obey God and His Prophet. But if I disobey God's command or his Prophet's, then no obedience is incumbent on you. Rise to your prayer, that God may bless you."

- The Life of Muhammad
Muhammad Husein Haykal

No comments: