Thursday, June 19, 2008

Revival

The Mount Faber bridge and the moon


It’s time to get fit. I had started to exercise in December 07, and Jan 08. Then Feb 08 came, and my exercise routine became all messed up. “Non-existent”.

I was starting to feel all lazy and lethargic, with the funny feeling that with every cheese pizza slice I ate at Delifrance, my arteries were clogging up. [It also doesn’t help that being Male and Indian, the risk of cardiovascular disease shoots up.] Moreover, the benefits of physical activities are immense, as I find out everyday at work where I lead a sedentary lifestyle. Numerous studies have found that exercise :

  • Lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke, type 2 diabetes, colon cancer and osteoporosis
  • Maintains or increases strength, flexibility, endurance and bone density
  • Reduces the risk of falls among older people
  • Improves mental health and mood, relieves symptoms of depression and anxiety and improves social skills and self-esteem and prevents cognitive
  • Helps with weight maintenance or loss, reducing body fat and increasing muscle mass

If that’s not great news, what is?

So yesterday, I went cycling on my dad’s bicycle, the Aleomakino. It’s a good Italian machine, but a bit rusted and has no snazzy suspension. Jalsa would be proud of me [are you proud of me?] for cycling and not jogging. One thing though – I can’t figure out how to adjust the seat height. So I was somewhat squashed up when riding.

But the feeling was good. As I glided down Henderson Road, with the sound of AR Rahman’s “Missing” in my ear, and the calmness of Telok Blangah Heights to my right… the evening was perfect.

Until of course I had to grunt and gasp for the up-slope ride back to Kim Tian. But I told myself that the muskells (muscles) needed to be developed in order for me to look like The Rock, waist down. (Right now is waste down.)

To more cycling rides!









Exquisitely crafted Italian exterior









The mean machine




4 comments:

jalsa... said...

of course i am damn proud of you bro.. hahah . btw i am also askin you to go running as well la...

Nunbun said...

no... never... after Habiba paved the way... never am I going to stray from the Path of Cycling...

Anyway - onz for cycling this saturday morning?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be the 'know-it-all' guy, but Alemakino is a product of Aleoca, which is NOT an Italian brand. It's from Singapore, its factory is in Shenzen (China), and despite the use (or abuse) of Italian flag and Italian-sounding names and taglines, it has nothing to do with Italy.

It might be a good bike. Just not an Italian one.

Nunbun said...

Thanks for letting me know, Viag.