Saturday, October 13, 2007

Drilla

Let me tell you a story of a secret power I have - it's the power to drill.

Well, it's not really that secret. It all began when I finished renovating my house. No - actually, it all began when I got married, then bought a flat. No - it all began - nevermind. Let's just stick with the renovation bit.

The Crisis
I was busy at work. Weekends were completely filled up with classes at the masjid. The weddings and one-year birthday parties of friends' sons were coming fast and furious. As soon as Friday ended, I was running crazily doing my errands on Saturday and Sundays, and suddenly, my weekends would be gone. To add on, my (ex)Arabic teacher was driving me up the minbar with his inability to stay focused on his topics.

The Solution
So I decided to stop attending his class for a while. I then ended my run of "The Message" and told my Ustaz that I would be taking a 3-month hiatus from class. The naming weddings and parties also stopped. My weekends were clear again. I had regained some control over my life. The Drill
With the spare time, I searched my soul and found that I had put off something for a long time. It was to put up the wall clocks we had and hang some Arabic calligraphy on the walls. But to do this, I had to drill holes in the walls of my house.

So I did what I had to do - get a drill set. No, I did not want to look macho, drilling things and being the handyman. I wanted to hang stuff. So off we went to get a drill set.

The First Time
I was lost, frankly, the first time. I had to spread the instructional manual (which was terrible - it assumed that the user was a hardened handyman) and the drill set packaging on the floor, to really piece together the intricate details of putting the drill bit into the drill. Eventually, with the help of my dear missus, I put it together.

The first drill hole was a screw-up (pun intended). I botched it and had to put some white cement to cover my embarrassment. The second time, I was a pro. I hung the funky clock (a houswarming present from my machan and his girlfriend) and looked at it triumphantly. The rest was history.

Drilla
5 holes later, I can safely say I'm a reasonably good driller of walls of my HDB flat. No need to borrow or call the next door uncle to drill the hole. My next mission - to be able to fix leaking taps. Tapper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you dei!
Drilling aint easy man. I tried before.. and woah... I'm wobbly!

Nunbun said...

Ya... need to have steady hands lah dudette. And a steadier mind :)